The Department of Ecology and Environment Protection performs the following tasks:
The Preparation of Evidence with the request for issuance of an environmental license, Previous Assessments of the impact on the environment, the Study on the assessment of the environmental impact for all types of facilities and plants – the documentation until obtaining the environmental license.
- The Preparation of Evidence with the request for obtaining a waste management licence, waste management plans for all types of facilities and plants – the documentation until obtaining the waste management licence.
- The Preparation of the Strategic Assessment of the impact on the environment.
- The Preparation of the Chemical Safety Assessment and the Preparation of Chemical Safety Report.
- Vocational trainings for working with dangerous chemicals and insecticides that contain hazardous chemicals.
- Measuring of road-traffic noise, activity noise in manifacturing industry, noise in catering industry, noise of sporting activities and noise of construction sites and construction machinery and mapping (making maps) of municipal noise.
- Inspection of woking envronment conditions and measuring parametres that have both advantageous and disadvantageous influence on working environment quality (microclimate, lighting, noise and vibrations level, unionizating radiation, concentration of dust and chemical noixousness, presence of biological noixousness etc) as requested by customers, and also completing Survey about determining work places with special work conditions.
- it cooperates with highly specialized and reference domestic and international institutions in the implementation of specific programs, projects and tasks .
- it performs vocational and scientific research in the domain of the activity,
- it participates in preparation of strategic documents of the Republic of Srpska in the domain of environmental protection,
- it performs all other activities within the scope of the Institute concerning the environmental protection, air protection, water protection, soil protection, waste management, chemical management, biocide management and so on.
Other of the activities of Department of Ecologyand Environmental Protection and Laboratory for testing parameters and environment is:
- Continuous measuring of immissions of polluting substances in the air (SO2, NO, NO2, NOX, CO, O3, PM10, soot) in order to achieve systematic analysis and air quality monitoring in the environment.
Institute for the Protection and Ecology of Republic of Srpska has been performing air quality monitoring and control for some time already in Banja Luka and Bijeljina, monitoring. In the Banja Luka and Bijeljina air quality monitoring is being performed by three automatic stations (which are located in adequate areas).
Today, The Institute has five automatic laboratories for air quality monitoring (parameters: SO2, NO, NO2, NOX, CO, O3, PM10, PM2.5 and possibility of monitoring and meteorological parameters: direction and speed of wind, temperature, pressure and humidity)
- Occasional measuring of concentrations from emmissions of polluting substances that are going into the air from industrial processes and thermoelectric power plants in order to create Register of emmissions and Register of air pollutants.
- Education, giving professional advices and organizing lectures with the aim of popularization and informing the public about the problems related to environmental protection and organizing scientific conferences, seminaries and consultations related to environmental protection.
- Under preparation are also measuring and mapping of communal noise in accordance with European directive 2002/49/EC